Sunday, June 15, 2008

Coasters For Dad

Remember this card I made for my dad for Fathers Day? I used it for inspiration to make some coasters for him, using photo coasters I purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond. I started by making four small drawings.

Each coaster holds a 2 1/2 inch square photo. Before I colored the images, I had to reduce them on my copier. I find it difficult to draw very small images, so mine were too big to fit in the coasters. Stamped images would have been a lot easier, if I had some that would be appropriate for my dad.

Next, I cut the images down and backed them with Close to Cocoa cardstock. Below are each of the completed coasters.



For this one, I used the same photo as I did when drawing the fly for my card.

This was the first one that I colored and it didn't come out very well. I had never used water colors on a photocopy before and didn't realize how much the ink would run. So it is a little smeary.


This is the box that the coasters came in. They were only $9.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond and I understand they can be found in several department stores, like Mervyns or Gottschalks.

A Good Egg, Stampin' UpI have to give my mom credit for this idea. She had some of these coasters and used her A Good Egg set (Stampin' Up) to decorate them for Easter. She plans to change them out with each season. Isn't that a good idea?

I think this would make a great house warming gift. You could create inserts for all the major holidays and some seasonal inserts for in between holidays and give it as a completed set. Might be a fun make and take idea for demos, too.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I have been meaning to buy this set of coasters for quite some time and for the very reason you have used them. One difference. Mine would be for stamped images. You sketch beautifuly. I love all of the images that you sketched and colored to make your Dads gift. He must have loved it. I do.

Mary

Jami said...

WOW! Your drawing is AMAZING!!!
hugs, Jami