Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Triangle Favor Box Tutorial

These are some little favor boxes I shared at the Gina K release party the other day. I was inspired by a little box of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory candy that I received for Christmas. It was so cute, I just had to recreate it. I am finally getting around to showing how I made them.

Here is the one I am making for the tutorial. I didn't do the punched border on the ends of the box for the tutorial. If you want to add a punched border, just add another 1/2 inch to either end to account for the loss of cardstock and maintain the proportions. You can click on any of the images below for a larger view.

Step 1
Start with a piece of cardstock cut to 5 by 6 1/4 inches. Then on the long side, make score lines at 1 1/2 inches, 3 inches and 4 1/5 inches. The narrow 1/2 inch strip on the end is just the fold over flap that you will use to adhere the ends together.

Step 2
Turn your cardstock 90 degrees and score at 1 1/4 and 5 inches. If using a Scor-Pal, it doesn't have a score mark at 1 1/4, so just score at 5 inches, then flip your cardstock around and score at 5 inches on the other end.

Step 3
Now, on the score lines you just made in the last step, you need to make a pencil mark at 1/2 inch and 1 inch as a guide for the circle punch in Step 5. Do this on both score lines.

Step 4
Fold your cardstock into zigzag shape so you can do your circle punching.

Step 5
Use a circle punch (I used 1 3/8 here, but a similar size should be fine) and line the edge up to the pencil mark and punch though the top layer. Turn it around and do the other side (this side will be double thickness).

Step 6
Now use your top layer as a guide to punch through additional layers.

Step 7
On the narrow 1/2 flap fold, I used my scissors to trim up the ends for a cleaner look.

Step 8
Here is what it looks like before you adhere the ends together.

Step 9
Now, re-fold in the same direction and adhere the ends.


Step 10
Decorate and embellish. Then use ribbon, twine or twist ties to close one end. Add candy, gum, trinkets, lip gloss or whatever suits your fancy, and then close the other end.


Supplies list

Boy/Girl samples - Stamps: Tag Lines (Gina K), Paper: Bashful Blue, Pretty in Pink, Very Vanilla (Stampin' Up), Ink: Basic Black, Tools: Nestabilities (Spellbinders), Lace Punch (Martha Stewar), ribbon (LSS), 1 3/8 inch circle punch.

Valentine sample - Stamps: Tag Lines, Spring Blooms, Christmas Blessings (Gina K), Paper: Pure Luxury White (Gina K), Real Red, Basic Black (Stampin' Up), Tools: Lace punch (Martha Stewart), Nestabilities (Spellbinders), ribbon (LSS), Copic markers, 1 3/8 inch circle punch.

I hope those instructions are clear. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day!

25 comments:

SusanBluerobot said...

FANTASTIC tutorial thank you for this great idea

Tamara said...

I love these. thanks so much for the tutorial.

Shirley said...

How really really clever and cute too! Great tutorial too, Theresa!

Deb Neerman said...

Sooooooooooooo cute!! And your instructions and photos are perfect ... I'll bet even I could do this!!

~Hugs!

Danielle said...

What a fabulous tutorial and totally gorgeous favour box! I will definitely be giving this a go! Thanks Theresa!
Hugs,
Danielle

Michelle (aka mybelle101) said...

Fan-tabulous tut, Theresa! Thanks for sharing, these are TOO cute!!

Elena said...

What a fabulous idea!!! Thank you for the great tutorial, Theresa!!!

Anita said...

Wow! TFS! What a great idea!

Tracey said...

Thanks for the tutorial Theresa! These boxes are very cute!

Allison Rankin said...

Another smart idea Theresa...great job!

Mrs Mac said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the 'how to' :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea--fantastic instructions! I'm trying these tomorrow when I have the day off--I think they'll work for office treats for my coworkers. With expenses now, a "taste" will do as well as a bag full to show I'm thinking of them that day.
Thanks so much,
Gail S.

Texas Schoolmarm said...

Beautiful work (as usual!). Thanks for the great pictures and clear instructions. This box is definitely on my "to do" list now. :-)

Lee said...

OMGosh!!!! HOW did I miss these at the party??? Oh yeah...I got booted off at one point!!! Wowza!!! And I totally love the tutorial....I'm gonna try these and I'll be sure to show ya!!!

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

FABULOUS tutorial, Theresa! I'm definately going to try these this weekend.

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lisa808 said...

Thank you for the tutorial. These are adorable and I can't wait to try some.

Unknown said...

This is excellent TFS

IamDerby said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I made some of these and they turned out awesome! I linked you up at my blog. :)

Beate said...

Awesome little treat container! Wonderful tutorial.
Hugs and smiles

Rose Ann said...

Your Triangle Favor Boxes are wonderful, and your tutorial is awesome!! Thanks so much, Theresa!! I actually made one. :D

Discount Cards said...

Thanks for the tutorial and this is the great way to give the example how we make this favor boxes.

Plastic Card said...

This is very helpful tutorial for all the peoples and easy to understand for beginners. Thank you.

Gaby said...

Beautiful boxes.
Thanks for sharing and the great tutorial.

Tera said...

Woowwwwwwww... These sre awesome am making these for my wedding favors.. i searched a weel for an easy to follow with pictures clear on how to make favor boxes thanks theresa your great