Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hand in Hand Christmas and Koh-i-noor Coloring Tutorial

Hi. Here is a Christmas card I made using the sketch challenge at SCS for this week. I used Melanie's latest stamp set, Hand in Hand and added a sentiment from Asela's Christmas Blessings set.

I colored the image with Koh-i-noor pencils and blended it with odorless mineral spirits and blending stumps. I added score lines around the image and backed it with a layer of Real Red card stock.

The red ribbon, from Gina K's Pure Luxury Ribbon Holiday Assortment, is placed on another white layer and that is over a layer of Old Olive. The card base is a piece of Pure Luxury 120 lb card stock.

Scroll down if you want a coloring guide for this card, using Koh-i-noor pencils.

I used three colors from my box of Koh-i-noor pencils, the light pink, light brown and the golden yellow (darkest of the three yellows).

On the child's hand I lightly colored arund the edges and crease lines using pink.

With golden yellow, I lightly colored over the pink. I colored past the wrist line just a bit.

Next I dipped a clean blending stump in my odorless mineral spirits (OMS) and using circular motions, blended the colors and brought them in toward the center of the image.

For the adult hand, I used the golden yellow around the edges again.

I added some light brown over the yellow and blended as above.

I had to dip my blending stump a second time on this larger hand to pull more color to the center, for a well blended image.

When you are using this coloring method on light areas a used blending stump, that has color on it already, can leave too much color on your paper. You can use a new stump or sand it down somewhat to clean it. Another thing I frequently do is dip my used blending stump into OMS and rub it on scratch paper to remove some of the color.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!

11 comments:

6 wacky women said...

Elegant card, Theresa.
Your tutorial was great.. I really need to work with my pencils more, you have inspired me.
TFS

Karen x

Shirley said...

How very elegant and so touching! The tutorial is wonderful too!

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Lovely card! Good tutorial... I didn't know about sanding down the end. Good to know! I thought you needed a blending stump for each color. Had a color on each end of the stump! lol!

Patti J said...

I love Melanie's stamp set. It's so serene and calming. And you are such a beautiful coloring expert! I love my K-I-N pencils, but have a LONG way to go to be able to color as beautifully as you do!

Rhonda Langley said...

Love your coloring!! Thanks for the tutorial. One of my friends & I just ordered some K-I-N pencils, gamsol and stumps. Can't wait to play although I am sure I will need LOTS of practice before I have something I can show to others!!

Elena said...

Theresa, your card is so elegant!
Thank you for the very interesting tutorial! I love these pencils, but relly didn't know how to make the skin color! I am going to try it!
Thank you again! Your tutorials are very helpful!

fishlips said...

Oh my thank you so much, I went on a hunt and found OMS at a local art store ,never really knowing what is was or even really how to use it ,( new toys) I've only been using it to clean brushes...lol So this was so neat and helpful to read... so when life affords me some time I will go back and play with my OMS again.... The hands are so perfect Theresa .... You are the master of color......what perfection and beauty you create!!!!!!

Jennie said...

Such a beautiful card, love the coloring tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to post this!

Lee said...

Oh your coloring is sooooo "peachy keen"!!! LOL I thought that because of the skin tones!! I know...dumb pun!!! ;) This is just precious and I just got my Gina K. order so I can't wait to play!!!

Julia Aston said...

I saw this stamp just the other day - what a great set - so expressive in a simple way! love how you colored it- thanks for sharing your method!

Deb Wood said...

I absolutely adore this new set and your card is so touching and beautiful!!