Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Adventures in Airbrushing!

Novice Alert!!! I guess the two minutes I played with an airbrush, during the Copic certification class I attended, doesn't make me an expert. LOL. I almost tossed this out, before assembling it, but I decided if I have to go through the excruciating experience of learning to use this contraption, then I may as well drag you all along, too. *insert evil grin here*

Here is how I mangled created this card...

I stamped the vase of daisies from Purrr-fectly Delightful, with Memento Tuxedo Black ink, then started with Copic R89 just around the center of the flower.

Added R29.

Added R24.

Added YR12. Oops, looks like I missed a photo. After adding YR12, I used YR000 to blend into the highlights. Then I did the same coloring to the other two flowers.

For the centers, I started with E39.

Filled in with E35.

Then pushed some highlights back in with YR000.

Used G24 and YG95 on the stems.

Used B00, C1 and C3 for the vase and water.

And now for the er, um, ...fun part...

First, I cut out the image using Labels 4 Nestabilities (thanks, Bren!). I placed a mask over the flowers, then airbrushed E53 around the edges of the image. I was having trouble with the angle of the spray and kept getting it darker than I intended on the upper right

Next I decided to try Y21 hoping to even things out.

Then I tried E35, hoping to even things out.

Finally, I tried some E33, hoping to even things out.

I was pretty sure I'd pushed it as far as I dare at that point. After my mental debate over whether to share this on the blog, I assembled with SU Creamy Caramel (embossed with CB Swiss Dots folder), Pure Luxury Black Onyx, Ivory and a Sweet Corn card base. I used a Martha Stewart border punch to do the lacy edge.

I'll try again in a few days. Brace yourselves.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope your day goes smoothly!

27 comments:

Deanna said...

I think it turned out just fine. The uneven background gives character and looks like highlights, not a mistake and definitely not mangled. The result looks great.

doreen said...

beautiful card and nice coloration.

greetz doreen

Cheryl said...

I like the background. Beautiful card.

The Other Patti Sue said...

I can't wait to watch your progress! This is beautiful,you did a great job!

Marimer said...

Hola Theresa, a veces por el poco tiempo y otras porque el PC tarda mucho en cargar, no entro a comentar todos tus hermososo trabajos, los veo siempre porque te sigo con verdadera admiración y aunque aun no he practicado, sigo en el empeño de hacerlo. Gracias.
Esta tarjeta, bellísima.
Bss

Sharri said...

Theresa, This is beautiful!!! I really like the background against those gorgeous flowers!

Robin McK said...

Really lovely! Great tutorial!

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

You're not SERIOUSLY calling this a mistake, are you? We won't let you do that. This is your first attempt, it's fabulous- and are you looking for sympathy????? LOL hahahahahaha
I can't wait to see more of this technique. I have been eyeing the ABS-1 for months!!!

Melanie said...

awesome flowers! the aairbrush: LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chelsea said...

gorgeous! You make the airbrush look so easy and good!

jjcreations said...

Hi Theresa, I jut though that I should let you know that I mentioned you on my blog today - I just love your colouring technique and all the beautiful work you create. Thank you!!!

6 wacky women said...

Gorgeous card, Theresa
The colours are just fabulous!

Karen x

Stampin_melissa said...

Hmmm, yes I see your point. In fact I think you should just "get ride of it" by sending it to me. I'll take very good card of it. :D

Seriously Theresa I can't believe you thought about tossing it out! I love it!

Tina said...

I think it turned out just wonderful!!! Keep going... I haven't even taken mine out of the box. LOL I'm waiting to learn.... come on... teach teach teach!!!! LOL

Carol said...

I am BRACED.....for more excellent beauty from you. I am always inspired and wish that by looking at your work, talent might just rub off. Blessings!

Betty Benton said...

Theresa, oh my gosh -- what a wonderful first attempt with your airbrush! I can't wait to see more from you.

Elaine M said...

What a purr-fectly lovely card! No one would have even know it was your first airbrush experience if you hadn't mentioned it. At least the color was on the paper - after my first attempt at airbrushing, I had a beautiful green pant leg with nothing on the card.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Your colors are beautiful- I appreciate the airbrush tutorials and hope you will do more! I would love to try colors for a pretty blue sky, but always add the wrong blue and wreck my cards! Gorgeous- I love the frame around the Label die that ends up white. TFS

Anonymous said...

I think your first try was absolutely splendid. I also received this for Christmas but have only had time to use it twice so far. I really like the white frame it leaves. TFS
Beth Greco

Melissa said...

Theresa, you are being way to hard on yourself. I think your card is great! Heck, at least you were brave enough to get an airbrush and give it a go. I left certification and thought, I will never attempt to airbrush! I look forward to your next tutorial with the alien airbrush!

betty Neville said...

It's a beautiful card Theresa! You ARE being too hard on yourself! If you hadn't mentioned an airbrush system, I would have thought it was sponged and that was the effect you were looking for. Absolutely nothing wrong with this card! : )

Gloria Westerman said...

I think it's gorgeous......you will master that airbrush I'm sure of it....

Payne Holler Cards said...

funny how we have a picture of what we want to do...and when it doesnt go that way - trash! and yet....the card has its own beauty! it really is a beautiful card - we really are our worst critics! Are you using the can or the compressor? so looking forward to watching you master this!!! and you will!!!cant wait to see a card you LIKE with the airbrush..its going to blow the rest of us away !!! hugs to you GF!

A Consuming Passion said...

It's kinda nice to know that even you have cards that don't turn out quite as you expected!! Your Airbrushing is way better than my sponging any day of the week!!!

Colleen said...

Theresa,
My husband air brushes for a hobby.
This looks wonderful for your first attempt.
It has taken him years to almost perfect this hobby.
On my scrapbooking blog, I will be posting some of the shirts he's done for the grandkids. I will let you know when I put them up.

Cathy said...

I loved this project but not as much as I enjoyed the post. I laughed all the way through it. I remember my first few attempts at airbrushing but you explained it in such a funny way. I laughed "with" you all the way through. It turned out Beautiful and it looks like you got it evened out :).

Unknown said...

Oh how pretty, Theresa! Your airbrushing and coloring are so beautiful on this card!