Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Joyful Blue Tutorial

Hello! Today I have another Christmas card using images from Joyful Holiday. Thank you for all your kind comments about my upcoming set, Vogue Vases. I'm looking forward to sharing more projects with it, starting Thursday. If you did see, some of the other illustrators, Tami, Melanie and Becky, have early peeks up of their sets, too.

 To start, I stamped the poinsettia image with Versa Mark ink, then heat embossed with white embossing powder. Before stamping, I used my embossing buddy to help keep the powder from sticking where I didn't want it. Tip - if you don't have an embossing buddy, you can use an old dryer sheet to removed static from your paper. 

After embossing, I lined up a Spellbinders™ Nestabilities® Classic Circles die template over the image, using painter's tape to hold it in place while cutting with my  Grand Calibur® Machine. 

 After cutting, I sponged Memento Pistachio ink while still in the die template.

 I colored in the holy leaves with Copic G24.

 Then added some shading with G28.

 For the pine sprigs, I used YG95 and my blender pen.

 Then added a shadow around the swirls with B23. When I'm coloring an embossed image, I try to work quickly because the Copic ink seems to degrade the embossing somewhat. Also, if I accidentally color on the lines, I just go over them lightly with my blender pen. The blender "erases" the ink from the raised embossed area and it brightens right up.

 I stamped and embossed the same image again, coloring the poinsettia with B66.

 Added B23.

 Then filled in with B21. After coloring, I cut out the poinsettia and adhered it to the background using Pop Dots.

 Next, I cut a piece of Pure Luxury White, using a Spellbinders Decorative Labels 27 die template, and sponged Memento Summer Sky while still in the die template.

 I cut another piece of white card stock using Spellbinders Matting Basics B and sponged Memento Summer Sky.

Then I embossed the layer with Spellbinders Fancy Lattice.


I layered onto a 4 ¼ by 5 ½ inch, Pure Luxury Cream De Menthe card base, adding a bow made with Creative Impressions crepe ribbon. I added a decorative border, cut using a die template from Spellbinders Frosty Forms and embellished with self adhesive pearls. 

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day! 




4 comments:

Theresa said...

If I ever want to know how to color anything, I just have to go to your tutorials to find out how. thanks as always for sharing.

Beth Norman said...

Very impressive. Your pop of blue works wonderfully. Love all that you have going on.

Illuminater said...

This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Leta said...

I would never have thought to use blue on this project...very stunning and your tutorial rocks..thank you