Monday, April 21, 2008

A Gift Card Holder - TLC165


The new technique challenge on Split Coast Stampers this week is to make a gift card holder like this one. I thought this was a clever idea and decided to give it a go. I made my with Father's Day in mind. I haven't stamped a sentiment yet, because I just ordered a new stamp set from Stampin' Up called Wonderful Favorites. I plan to use that set for the sentiment.

Here is the inside. The gift card holder portion swings back and forth, so you have a lot of area to add stamping or designer papers. I used Lovely As A Tree for the front image and Seeing Spots for the inside. I also added Le Jardin designer paper.

For the tree, I inked my stamp with Versa Mark and then Chocolate Chip ink and stamped the image on Very Vanilla card stock. Then I heat embossed it with clear embossing powder. I brayered Not Quite Navy ink over the image and then went back in and blotted bleach over the image. Then I did a little sponging around the edges with Chocolate Chip ink and black ink.

To make it I started with a sheet of card stock 4 1/2 by 11 inches and scored at 3, 5 1/2 and 8 1/2 inches. The site I linked to above called for a 4 1/4 by 11 inch sheet of card stock, but I wanted mine a bit taller to accommodate the tree stamp.

Next I folded the card stock to form "W" and then used the word window punch and circle punch to make an opening for the gift card. I used Terrifically Tacky tape around the edges on the inside of the "W." To add the designer paper, I cut it down slightly and then used the word window punch and a slightly larger circle punch.

Blog Candy Alert - Allison is having another give away. This week she is offering a stamp set. Check it out. She also has another new tutorial for using Pastels.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I love love love this. The "cloudy" look around the trees is really awesome. The colors are perfect. Are you giving your dad a m's gift card...LOL.

Sharon said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I am fairly new to your blog but I visit every day now. The technique you used here around the tree looks wonderful. Congratulations!

Sharon said...

I forgot to add that I'm a cardmaker and stamper of long standing from Australia. I'd love it if you would check out my blog at www.stampin-scrappin.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

Great gift idea for Dad! (The man for who I never know what to buy).
Thanks for the great post!
Allison Lee