Thursday, July 10, 2014

Masked Beach Scene Video Tutorial

 Hello! I hope you are all doing well and send belated Independence Day wishes to my fellow Americans. With all the festivities over the weekend and preparing for them during the week before, I neglected to share some exciting news. I've been invited to join the CardMaker Magazine Blog Team for the next six months! I'm so pleased to be a part of the CardMaker Team and thrilled to be sharing my first post on their blog today! If you would like to see the card I shared, click here. If you aren't already a follower of the CardMaker blog, I highly recommend it, so you won't miss anything.

I'm all about masculine cards today. I used my Gone Fishing stamp set for my CardMaker post and on the card above, I used By The Sea 2, along with a sentiment from Vertical Greetings 2.



Here is a video I made to show you how I created the card. If you prefer to watch at Youtube, click here to go to my channel.

Start with a piece of white cardstock, trimmed to 3 ¼ X 4 ¼ inches. Stamp the nautilus shell, from By  The Sea 2, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I used Spectrum Noir markers to color the image, starting with EB3.

Then blend out from the previous color using FS3.

Fill in most of the way using FS1 and use a blender pen to soften the transition into the highlighted areas.

Stamp the shell onto scratch paper and cut it out to create a mask. Use repositionable tape to secure in place over the original image and begin sponging from the top edge using Gina K Powder Blue ink.

Switch to Gina K Warm Cocoa ink and sponge from the bottom up.

With the mask still in place, stamp the Pompas Grass using Warm Cocoa ink. Then stamp the regular beach grass a few times using Warm Cocoa, but stamp off onto scratch paper first so the image will be lighter.

Remove the mask and create a shadow below the shell using Spectrum marker BG3.

Deepen the shading closer to the shell using BG5.

Use BG1 to soften the edges of the shadow into the background.

To make the foreground look a bit like sand, add dots of color using the fine tips on Memento Markers, Desert Sand, Espresso Truffle and Rich Cocoa.

Stamp the seagulls using Gina K Black Onyx, but stamp off on scratch paper first to make the image appear lighter.

Stamp the sentiment, from Vertical Greetings 2 onto a small piece of ivory cardstock and use a corner rounder punch to round the corners on the right side. Adhere a piece of Pure Luxury Dark Chocolate behind the beach scene and add the sentiment, tucked behind the right side. Add a piece of Kraft behind all the layers and then use adhesive foam squares to adhere to the Sandy Beach card base.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope your day is fantastic!


Finished card size - 5 ½ by 4 ¼ inches

Supplies

By The Sea 2 and Vertical Greetings 2 Stamp Sets - Gina K Designs

Pure Luxury Cardstock (Kraft, White, Ivory, Dark Chocolate, Sandy Beach) - Gina K Designs

Memento Tuxedo Black Ink

Powder Blue, Warm Cocoa, Black Onyx Ink - Gina K Designs

Spectrum Noir Markers (EB3, FS3, FS1, BG1, BG3, BG5) - Gina K Designs-

Alternate Copic Suggested Colors (E35, E33, E31, W5, W3, W1)

Memento Markers (Desert Sand, Espresso Truffle, Rich Cocoa)

Adhesive Foam Squares - Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L

Tape Runner

Jumbo Sponge Daubers

Corner Rounder Punch

Scissors

Paper Trimmer




6 comments:

Judy Inukai said...

Congrats on joining the CardMaker Blog. Your first post was great - I'll look forward to the future ones. Your beach scene is very calm and peaceful. Wish I was one that beach! Thanks for always providing the great details, and thanks for including the Copic alternatives to the SN markers.

Francie G. said...

Gorgeous! Wonderful tutorial!

Casmiles said...

Congratulations on joining the Card Maker Blog. I'll sign up now so I can see more of your wonderful work. YAY for you!

Mrs B said...

Hi Theresa. Beautiful card, I love the nautilus shell. Congratulations on getting on the Cardmaker team, you should be so proud. I am off to have a look now : ) Take care.

Nancy said...

This is stunning Theresa! How do you do it week after week!!

Becky said...

This is stunning Theresa!