Saturday, May 23, 2009

Stamping Out Alzheimers

By now, most of you have probably heard about the Stampin' Out Alzheimers project created by Susanna Boyd and Jen Tapler. For those of you that haven't heard, this is special 7 day stamping and scrapbooking event to help raise money and awareness for Alzheimer's Disease The website will feature tutorials, challenges, chat, support and tons of prizes from all your favorite stamp companies. There is a small donation (any amount) required to join the communty and 100% of the proceeds go directly to the charity. They've already raised over $2000 and the event hasn't ever officially kicked off yet!

You can see all the details about this wonderful event by checking the Paper Craft Planet home page. I joined and hope to find time to participate in some of the challenges, and I hope you will consider joining, too.




In honor of this incredible event, I made a card using Carolyn King's stamp set, Whimsical Autumn. This set came out last fall and was illustrated in honor of Carolyn's grandmother, who suffered with Alzheimers, before passing away last year. ALL of Carolyn's proceeds from this set go to the Alzheimers Association.

Here are the details...

I started by stamping the squirrel and bushel of apples with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. Then I colored in some shadows on the squirrel using Copic marker, N5.

Then I added N3 over the entire squirrel.

Used N7 to add some deeper shadows.

Went over the apples with R27, then used my blender pen to add some highlight.

Used R29 to add some shadows to the apples.

For the basket, I used E37 along all the lines.

Filled in with E35.

Used my blender pen to lighten some areas.

Before sponging the background, I used my Versa Mark pen to go over the entire image so my clear embossing powder would stick, then heat embossed.

After embossing, I sponged in the background using So Saffron, More Mustard, Creamy Caramel, Pumpkin Pie and Chocolate Chip inks. I used a stamp from Botanical Dreams to add a bit of foliage, inked in Creamy Caramel.

The sentiment was stamped, then cut out with Nestabilities. For my layers, I used new digital paper that is available with the purchase of Jessica's online class, Stampin' Up Chocolate Chip and my card base is More Mustard.

Thanks for visiting. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend. I'll be back Monday with previews for the new Gina K release.

14 comments:

Becky G said...

Fantastic card and cause, Theresa! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs, Becky

craftimamma said...

What a great card for a very worthy cause. Great tutorial too!

Lesleye Xx

AKiteFlier said...

Gorgeous gorgeous - as usual Theresa! Hey I have a question - do you ever create a card where you DON"T sponge? You are the MASTER sponger - I can only aspire to be like you in that regard. It adds SUCH warmth and dimension to your projects.

Chelsea said...

I love that little squirrel!!! Gorgeous!

Jamee said...

your card is so cute. i love your coloring, its amazing!

Allison Rankin said...

You are the queen of copics, sponging and scenes! Your cards I think are the hardest types which is why I avoid 'em! Ha!

Crystal said...

Wow this is FANTASTIC!!! Your coloring is awesome and your card is beautiful!!

Carolyn King said...

What a beautiful card for a Beautiful cause---AMAZING girl!!!!

Jennie said...

This is a beautiful card! Looking forward to your GKD sneak peeks tomorrow :o))

Rhonda Langley said...

That squirrel is so cute! Beautiful!!

Elena said...

Very beautiful card! I love your fantastic coloring, Theresa!

Anonymous said...

Awesoem coloring! This is wonderful how you share step by step instructions!
Kimmiek

Deb Neerman said...

Amazing!!!

And you know what I finally realized? You almost never use patterned paper ... and it's never missed on your cards!

They are stamped and colored so beautifully, then sponged so well and with so much depth, that using DP would prolly spoil it!

I sure wish I had your skillz, my friend!

Shirley said...

Very warm and pretty too! Your tutorials are so wonderful and easy to follow too!