Friday, May 22, 2009

Out West Stair Step Card

Happy Friday! Wow, just a few more days til the previews start for the next Gina K Designs release, with new sets, a new stampTV Kit and new paper! There is also a brand new Class Kit available now, called Fun With Glitters. You can learn about the clas,s and see Jessica's gorgeous card samples, here.

I've been wanting to make a stair step card with my Out West stamp set since it was released and I finally got around to it yesterday. I also made it for yesterday's Ways To Use It challenge to repeat a stamped image on your card or project. I stamped the horseshoe several times to create a patterned paper look on the middle panel of my card. I also used the cactus twice.

Here are the details...

I started by cutting a piece of cardstock to 5 by 10. 5 inches. Then I used my Scor-pal to scor at 1 1/4", 2 1/2", 4 1/4", 6" and 8 1/4".

Folded the cardstock in a zig zag pattern along the scor lines.

I cut three strips of Leather paper (The Paper Temptress) to 4 3/4" by 1", 4 3/4" by 1 1/2" and 4 3/4" by 2". Then sponged the leather paper with So Saffron, Creamy Caramel and Pumpkin Pie inks. You can click on the photo for a better view of amazing texture on that cardstock. It comes in several colors besides the white.

I'm afraid I accidentally deleted a few of the coloring photos, but I do have a few. The colors pictured above are the ones I used on the boots. (Y21, E31, E33, E35, E37 and E57)

And for the cactus, I used YG03, YG93 and YG95.

When Cat posted this card with her awesome handmade barbed wire, I knew I just had to give it a go myself. Thanks, Cat, for sharing that technique. I love it! Since I am soooo lazy I decided to use my drill to twist the main part of the wire. I cut a pretty long piece of wire and folded it in half, then placed the loosed ends in the drill and clamped down on it.

On the other end, the folded over side, I placed it in a clip. I held my drill in one hand and my clip in the other, then started the drill, letting it twist until I was happy with the results.

Twisting the individual barbs was quite tedious, as Cat mentioned. I held one end against the wire I had already twisted with my thumb and forefinger, then wrapped the loose side around three or four times, then trimmed the ends.

I cut out all the images I had colored and adhered most of them using Pop Dots for added dimension.

I stamped the sentiment, then cut it out using oval Nestabilites, then cut a scallop oval piece to layer it. I sponged around the sentiment oval using Chocolate Chip ink, then added a few brads. I also added a small piece of Nautical Netting texture ribbon from Gina K.

Want some more Out West inspiration? Check out these beauties...

Karen Knegten's Masculine Birthday Card
Melanie's Southwestern Boots Card
My mom's Western Style Hinged Card
Jessica's Good Luck card.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful Friday!

22 comments:

6 wacky women said...

Oh wow, Theresa.....your card is awesome!! You know how I love these stair step cards and you did a fabulous job of it.
Just gorgeous!!

Karen x

A Consuming Passion said...

Great card what a fantastic way to showcase your stamp set. Cat's pretty amazing too - making barbed wire - wow.
Sue

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings said...

That barbed wire is out of this world!!!

Mrs Mac said...

Absolutely amazing!

debra said...

Howdy cowgirl
this is an amazing card and love everything about it (yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaa) and barby is wicked, defo will have to try it out.
hugs Debra

Tosha Leyendekker said...

GORGEOUS stair step card! And that barbed wire idea is fantastic!!!

Deb Neerman said...

WoWzA, this is simply incredible, Theresa!!!!

LOVE all the fun details but that barbed wire takes the cake! Give it back; I need cake.

My NEW-favorite Theresa card!

Anonymous said...

My goodness, your card is awesome. Your attention to detail is amazing. I just love it. Way to go girl. Yippee kay yah!!??

Patti J. said...

I agree with Deb - this is my new favorite Theresa card! Girl you just continue to knock my socks off! Great job!!! LOVE it - your stamp set looks like it was totally designed for this card!

Elena said...

Amazing card, Theresa! Love how everything goes well, each design, each stamp, each detail! Love the wire!!
Thank you so much for sharing tutorial!

Selma said...

Wow Theresa. I agree with all the other comments. This card is just amazing; it showcases your set so well. You are a fabulous designer!

mimiof2 said...

This is a fantastic card. Love the barbed wire, but don't think I would ever have the patience to make it! Thanks so much for sharing the details.
Karen

lisa808 said...

Oh my gosh--you have outdone yourself with this one! Fabulous card.

AKiteFlier said...

Golllllleee Gomer - can you believe this card? There aren't words enough to tell you all the wonderful things about your creation so I'll stick to a simple 10 thumbs up!!! (yeah I feel like I'm all thumbs when compared to you! LOL) That barbed wire - wow.

By the way - the link to Jessica's photo actually links to Melanie's again.

Yvonne Jackson said...

Fantastic card, I love the barbed wire!

Carolyn King said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jennie said...

Oh Theresa...this is amazing! Something I so want to try and hope it turns out half as good as yours! Thanks for the step by step directions! Love yours and am bookmarking this for the future :o)

Maureen Vollaro, LCSW-R, P.C. said...

Nice! Just too cool!!

Rhonda Langley said...

Such fabulous details on this card! All the parts and the barb wire, and the wire mesh.

Anonymous said...

This card so rocks I am still laughing out loud about how cool it is! YOU ROCK SISTAH!

KimmieK

Shirley said...

I love this Theresa! How creative with the mesh. It's beautifully Western!

Monica-FC said...

love the card. never seen a fold like this and how you made the barb wire. so ingenious.!!! it is just amazing watching and reading.