Monday, October 3, 2011

Leafy Pumpkins

Good Monday morning! This card really gave me fits, but I managed to salvage it. More about that below. The finished card size is 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inches. I used the pumpkins from Heartfelt. I'm afraid you haven't seen the last of these pumpkins. I'm just having so much fun with them. Autumn cards are always my favorites. 

 I also used the branch from Autumn Leaves, one of the stamp sets you can get for free if you take advantage of the sale before it ends tonight. 

To start, I cut my background of Pure Luxury White to 4 1/2 by 3 1/4 inches. I stamped the branch and colored with Copic markers, starting with E39. 

Added E15. 

And here you can see things went a bit wrong. My E53 marker was empty and I hadn't noticed. Unfortunately the nibs got really dried out. I refilled it, but the nibs didn't soak up the ink well and it kept leaking. I used it too soon and got a really big puddle on my background. I did managed to color in the leaves with the E53 without any other mishaps. 

I used my colorless blender several times to clean up my mess. Once I got it to this point I decided it was good enough to cover up with sponging and I moved on. 

Using a VersaMarker, I filled in the image with clear ink, then heat embossed the with clear embossing powder.

Then I sponged Memento Cantaloupe ink. The embossing resists the ink. 

Sponged Memento Potter's Clay.  Look at that. I got some stray embossing powder over in the bottom left corner. Now you know how I decided where the pumpkins were going to be placed. LOL.

Sponged some Memento Rich Cocoa ink. Yep, that embossing really does a good job resisting the ink. On a more positive note, you can barely tell where the Copic puddle was.

I stamped the pumpkins on a separate piece of Pure Luxury White and colored with Copics, starting with YR07. 

Added YR18 to the left sides. 

Added YR04.

Added Y17. 

Went over the Y17 with YR12 to orange it up a bit, then used my blender pen to bleed some ink into the highlights. 

For the stems, I started with YG93. 

Then shaded the stems with YG97. I also added some shading to the pumpkins with N3. After coloring, I cut out the pumpkins. 

I layered with Pure Luxury Chocolate Brown and Pumpkin Spice and added some Jute Twine. The card base is Chocolate Brown. The pumpkins were adhered with Pop Dots.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a great day!


10 comments:

Wide Eyed Stamper said...

BEAUTIFUL card Theresa! I love those punkins :) Just put my Gina K order in and chose the Autumn Leaves set as my choice for the free set. Thank you for the great tutorials. I have a lot of practicing to do. :)

Happy Monday Hugs,
Karen

Patti J said...

Beautiful card, Theresa! Thanks for sharing how you remedied your 'bubble'. I have a couple of markers that pool every so often. I've never even tried sponging over them. Great idea, and gorgeous outcome! I loved seeing your page in the Scrap and Stamp Arts magazine again this month! I hope you're going to be a regular feature there. Hugs!

Olga said...

WOW!!!! You blow my mind with your fantastic coloring!!!!! this is absolutely gorgeous

cindy said...

Love it. Very pretty

Jana said...

Beautiful! Great coloring and inking

Colorado Crafter said...

Autumn cards are my favorite to make, also. This one is beautiful!! You totally recovered it from all the problems you pointed out. Thanks, as always for your wonderful tutorials!!

Barb Ghig said...

You really ROCK, Theresa! I can't get over all the little mishaps you were able to overcome...and once again, your card is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Have a great evening!

Ravengirl said...

This is a gorgeous card! Love your fabulous pumpkins. Thanks for keeping it real!

Katherine said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for including the mishaps as well. It helps knowing that these things happen to the 'professionals' as well as us amateurs :) It also helps to see how you corrected the problems.

Herbstnebel said...

So wonderful.

Greetings Dani