Sunday, October 11, 2009

Spirit of Christmas

Hello! Today I have a project using the fireplace from A Very Merry Christmas. I also used the background window stamp from Hip To Be Square.

I made this for a challenge at a brand new challenge blog called Just Us Girls(JUGS). My friend Pam (also a guest designer for me last month) is one of the founders and the whole team is made up of some fabulous (and fun loving) designers. This week the challenge is paper piecing with an option of using pink. I paper pieced the hip square and sponged some flowers pink. To kick start their new challenge blog, the JUGS team are offering up some really great blog candy, so be sure to check it out!

I started with my Y17 Copic marker in the center of the fire.

Added Y21 to the fire.

Outlined the fire with YR04.

For the inside of the fireplace, I used N3, N5 and N7.

Next, I colored over the entire brick area with W3 for the mortar.

Then I added R22 to the bricks in a spotty, careless manner.

Next, I added R24 to the bricks, adding spots to some and outlining others, to create that mottled look that bricks frequently have.

Then I went over each of the bricks with YR02 to blend and warm them a bit.

Used R29 and G05 for the holly, berries and stockings.

For the mantle, door and window frame, I used E57 along all the edges.

Filled in with E31.

Used E33 to blend the two colors.

I decided I wanted the wall to be an off white and reflect the glow of the fire, so I used Y23 in the shadows.

Blended out with Y21 and then used my blender pen to push back some of the color.

For the curtain, I used Y93 and my blender pen.

I wanted some wood planks for the flooring, so I used a straight edge to add some lines using E37.

Then I filled in with E31 and W3 and used my blender pen to add some highlights.

I stamped the window background stamp from Hip To Be Square on a piece of K&Company patterned paper using Versa Mark. I heat embossed with black embossing powder, then trimmed closely along the outside lines.

I used my R29 Copic marker to fill in the narrow band around the outside of the window stamp, then layered with Pure Luxury Ivory, Black Onyx and used Cranberry Tart for the card base. The flowers are Ivory Sateen flowers that I sponged with Ruby Red ink. I used a Martha Stewart punch for the leafy punched pieces.

Thank you for stopping by. I'll be back tonight (Sunday) with a fabulous project from Sharri Seffens (my guest designer). Have a great day!

11 comments:

Patti J. said...

This is gorgeous! I absolutely LOVE your Christmas set! Keep illustrating! You are fabulous!

Crafting Queen said...

Once again a beautifully coloured image. Wonderful card. Anesha

A Consuming Passion said...

Your card is beautiful Theresa, it has a very traditional look which is perfect for Christmas in my book!!
I've been enjoying Selma and Sharri's cards made with this set too!

AKiteFlier said...

Oh Theresa - you just made my day!! I'm totally exhausted from auto racing today (and my first 360 spin out grrr) I came by to just say how shocked I was that your color challenge was the same as CTD! SO lucky me to play them both even if I was totally last minute. I had my card done yesterday but didn't post and then we were super late today.

Meanwhile thank you SO much for supporting the Just Us Girls challenge with this AMAZING card. Oh my - I have truly run out of adjectives to describe how amazing your work is - it is gaorgeou ART in all its splendor. Don't forget to link up this post to Mr. Linky though - want you to be in the running, too :-)

Anonymous said...

This card is absolutely gorgeous! I love the step by step with the markers as well. I've been thinking about trying them, but I'm a little unsure of them yet.

Eileen

Jessica said...

What a lovely card. TFS

Carla S. said...

Absolutely beautiful, Theresa! Fantastic coloring and great DP for the piecing!

AKiteFlier said...

Theresa!!!!! I knew you had made this but now you actually posted it! (probably had to wait for the VMC blog hop eh??) I have NO CLUE what that word is supposed to be in my earlier comment LOL - I think it must have been gorgeous but it sure didn't turn out that way. (sorry) You know I am an ardent admirer and supporter of all things Theresa! :-)

Thank you SO MUCH for playing along with Just Us Girls this week. It means a lot to us.

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautifully colored fireplace image! Great job with the paper piecing! Thank you for playing along with the Just Us Girls challenge. I hope you continue to play in the upcoming challenges. :)

Kristin Eberline said...

Oh WOW. This is absolutely STUNNING! Thanks for sharing your coloring steps...they are very helpful to the NEW Copic users like me! LOVE your elegant card and your coloring is amazing!!

Thank you for supporting our challenge this week! We sooo appreciate it :) Your work is amazing!

LaShanda said...

This is such a beautiful card, the copics helped bring it all to life.