Sunday, November 9, 2008

Winter Hoodie - Emboss Resist Tutorial

I wanted to make a pattern on Melanie's hoodie from Just So Sporty and decided to use the embossed resist technique to add some snowflakes.

First I stamped the image on white card stock. Then I inked up three different sized snowflakes, from Magic of Christmas, using Versa Mark ink. I stamped them in a random pattern and then sprinked clear embossing powder over the image and melted it with my heat tool.

To avoid stray bits of embossing powder clinging to your card stock, rub your embossing buddy over the card stock before stamping. If you don't have an embossing buddy, a dryer sheet works like a charm. (That's what I do!)

After embossing, I sponged in some Bashful Blue ink. Then I sandwiched the image between some copy paper and ironed over it on a medium setting. This will pull the embossing way from the card stock and into the copy paper, leaving your snowflakes white and a smooth surface.

Next I went in with my Koh-i-noor pencils and added some darker areas, then cut out the image and assembled my card.

Here is the finished card.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

17 comments:

Cat Tidwell said...

Oh what a wonderful hoodie! I'd wear that! LOL! Beautiful on the heat resist...need to try this!

6 wacky women said...

WOW! Thearesa, beautiful card. I just love this hoodie. Your work is so amazing. I must give this technique a try. TFS
Take care
Karen

fishlips said...

This is so pretty perfect color and design for a winter sweat shirt...where can I buy one in my size... Now that I have a embossing buddy too maybe I can make one !!!!

Deb Wood said...

Ooh I love this, so pretty! I just got this set!

Sharon said...

Lovely card! I've used the emboss resist technique before but not the last step of ironing to remove the embossing - very neat.

Jami said...

Way cool!! Love the colors and shading - and that cute hoodie totally welcomes the cool weather! Great piercing!!!
hugs, Jami

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

How clever are you?! Totally cute hoodie, girl! This is one technique I have yet to try. Love the paper piercing all around!

Elena said...

This card is absolutely adorable! Love your idea with the snowflakes! Thank you for the great tutorial!!!

Lee said...

Oh I want one of these to wear!!!! I LOVE Hoodies!!!!! And snowflake ones!!! What a great tip about ironing!! I like the emboss resist......but I love the idea of the flatter, brighter design with the ironing!!!

Alena said...

Beautiful card!! What did you use to punch the holes? Yours turned out really good. I haven't quite perfected the paper piercing thing yet.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,

Alena in Northern CA. :o)

debinicol said...

Theresa! How sharp this is! I love the technique to the tee...hehehe
debi nicol at yahoo dot com

Becky G said...

Love how this turned out! What a great idea to add snowflakes to this image! Too cool, no pun intended.

Hugs,
Becky

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! This is amazing!

Donna Baker said...

oooh! wish I had one of these hoodies!! love it!

Annapurna said...

Wow Theresa! This is gorgeous. I wish I had a sweat shirt like that. Love the colors you used.
The stair step card is awesome. Even with that many elements, they all look perfectly placed.
Coming to the Bitty Christmas card, I love how you make sceneries out of various stamps. When I see people stamping one image and making a card with it, it fees like "whatever", but these are wowable.

Great job!
Sorry about not joining PCP. I feel like I don't want to join one more thing where I don't do anything anyway:-)

Toni K said...

Awesome card! I want to wear that hoodie!

Shirley said...

Very simply stunning~ I love how yourdid the snowflakes. That is a great technique I need to use more often. Then the needle piercing and the layers. What a great card and tutorial too, Theresa!