Monday, May 14, 2012

Soft, Sweet Strawberries

 Hello and happy Monday to you! Before I get to today's card, I want to thank you for all your wonderful comments about my video. I definitely hope to do more soon. I have special homemade set up, just for doing them, so no more excuses.

There were a few questions about why I did a few things in the video. First, a few people ask about why I switched to Stazon Jet Black for stamping the silhouette images. I like to use Stazon because the Jet Black is such a very dark black and works beautifully on silhouette images. I am frequently too lazy to grab my Stazon when I stamp and just use the Tuxedo Black Memento which is always at hand, but on the card in the video, the sponged background was pretty dark, so I definitely wanted my silhouette images to be as dark as possible so they would pop against the background.

The other question was why I removed the die template from the background before stamping the silhouettes, instead of just using it as a mask. The person that asks this speculated correctly. It is because of the thickness of the die template. Using sticky notes to mask the frame around the background allowed for a better impression of the stamped image. The thickness of the die template would have cause the giraffe and tree images not to stamp cleanly right up to the edge of the frame.

And now onto my card...

 I used the strawberry stems image, from Sweet Strawberries, and stamped with Memento Jet Black ink.

 I used Copics to color, beginning with R89 where I wanted the deepest color.

 Added R29.

 Added R24.

 Added R24.

 I filled in with R22, then used my blender pent to push some highlights back in.

 I added some shading to the larger strawberries with BV13.

 For the foliage, I filled in with YG03. I knew I wanted to cut out my image, so I purposely colored over the lines on the narrower parts in case my cutting wasn't spot on.

I added shading with YG95 and used my YG03 again to blend.

 I used Y17 for the flower center and Y11 to shade a bit on the petals. After coloring, I cut out the image.

 I used Spellbinders™ Labels Eighteen Nestabilities®, largest die template, to cut a piece of Pure Luxury White and sponged Memento Cantaloupe ink while still in the die.

 Sponged Memento Angel Pink.

 Sponged Memento Rose Bud.

 Sponged Memento Rhubarb Stalk.

 I cut a piece of Gina's new Sunshiny Day pattern paper and sponged Memento Rose Bud ink around the edges.

I layered with Pure Luxury White and then adhered the Labels Eighteen layer on top with Pop Dots, then tied a bow with my gorgeous new ribbon I just bought from Creative Impressions. I love this 1.5 inch crepe ribbon. It makes beautiful bows and I love that there is no front or back. So luxurious!

I adhered the cut out image with Pop Dots, then adhered the entire assembly to the card base. My card base is Pure Luxury Bubblegum Pink and size is 4 ¼ by 5 ½ inches. 


Thanks so much for stopping. I hope your day is wonderful! 


8 comments:

Debbie said...

I love this card. It reminds me of when my Grandmother would go out and pick strawberries in the field and then make strawberry jam. Thanks for the memories!

Gabi MeWi said...

Very delicious card - yummy.

Candy Slabaugh said...

Beautiful coloring! I love the Copic color combos you used for the strawberries and leaves!

Rachel S said...

Great card, like always! I am very much impressed with your work..Your colors are great, too. I wish I could put colors together like you do!

Payne Holler Cards said...

now THATs a bow (-:
hugs

Unknown said...

Thanks again for such a wonderfully inspirational and educational post. I learn so much from your instructions! This is one of my favs since I love strawberries!!!

Mrs Mac said...

Gosh, your work is so inspirational. I wish I had time to read your blog more often!

Cheryl said...

Theresa, My sweet strawberries set came today and I wanted to let you know how much I love it! Your work is truly awesome!