Here is a look after we tore out the center counter area and put in studs for the new wall. Mike did most of that part. I just added the cross pieces and did some electrical. We added a lot of cross pieces to provide extra support because of the cabinet configuration on the kitchen side.
Here is another view, this time from the family room looking into the kitchen. Another issue was the style of the cabinets didn't suit the style of the house. They were short and stubby and country looking, but the house has angular, modern lines and tall ceilings.
Our family room is very narrow and the only place to put the TV was up against that counter/bar/pony wall, which looked terrible. There was always a tangle of cords and wires for the misc. equipment. The refigerator was right on the other side of that wall and there was just barely enough room to open it and nobody could walk by if you were standing there.
Well, those are just a few of my complaints, I could go on and on, but you get the picture.
The upper cabinets used to be 33 inches high, now they are 39 inches and seem to fit the design of the house better. The counter tops are Silestone and darker in person than they are looking in the photos.
Well that was probably a lot more than you wanted to know. Thanks for letting me ramble on about non-stamping stuff. I hope you have a great day!