Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sink Your Toes In The Sand

Aloha, Stampers! Today's card is a reject from a recent publication call, so I get to share it here now. I used stamps from Aloha.

To start, I punched a 1 1/4 inch circle from a sticky note and placed it on my background, to mask for a sun. Then I covered the lower portion of the cardstock with another sticky note.

I sponged Memento Angel Pink.

Then sponged Memento Rose Bud.

Sponged Memento Cantaloupe at the horizon line.

Sponged Memento Grape Jelly around the top edges.

I removed the masks. Then I used the sticky note I had previously cut the circle from, and lined it up over the circle that had been masked.

Sponged Memento Cantaloupe on my sun.

Here is what it looked like after I sponged the sun and removed the mask.

Then I placed another sticky note at the horizon line, to cover the sky. I sponged Memento Tangelo.

Then sponged Memento Angel Pink, extending all the way down to the bottom of the cardstock.

Sponged Memento Rose Bud from the sides.

I removed the mask and stamped the island silhouette, from Aloha, using Memento Tuxedo Black.

I tore a sticky note diagonally and placed it over the lower right corner. Then I sponged Memento Angel Pink along the torn edge.

Removed that mask.

Then I placed another torn sticky note, closer to the corner.

Sponged Memento Tuxedo Black.

Removed that mask.

I stamped the palm tree, from Aloha and colored with Copics. I used N7, N5 and N3 to color.

I used Copic RV23 and my London Fog Memento marker to shade along the edge of the water. I also used RV23 to add some ripples in the water.

Used an opaque white pen to add more ripples.

I layered with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and used a Bubblegum Pink card base. The sentiment is also from Aloha and stamped on white, which I sponged lightly with Memento Angel Pink ink.

Thanks for visiting. I hope you have a wonderful day!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous... as usual! I don't think the word "reject" should ever be used in reference to any of your cards, btw! :o)

Patti J said...

Beautiful card, Theresa! Love those colors! Please don't take this wrong, but I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one that's been 'rejected'...lol!!! I'm just going to move on to another magazine! Thanks for another wonderful tutorial! Hugs...

Gloria Dojlido said...

Wow..this is just stunning!

Becky said...

I just love your tutorials and I learn so much. This is stunning girl.

Dawn Frost said...

I can't believe that they rejected it Theresa, it is totally gorgeous! This is definitely a card that we've got to do when my friends and I get together. Thanks for much for the tutorial!

Kary said...

WOW! Theresa this is a Fab card!! I love the colours and the scene is Awesome!

lisa808 said...

I think this is your most beautiful card yet! Absolutely stunning.

Carolina said...

What an adorable card Theresa! Love the scene you create here!

Anonymous said...

As always, another FABULOUS card Theresa. So glad you DID show it here, thank you, I just cannot understand how anyone could pass it over unless it didn't fall into their required category. YOU MUST KNOW YOUR WORK IS STUNNING - ALWAYS.

Mary Mac

Lisa M Griffin said...

Beautiful, thanks for illustrating your process - this is a great tutorial on cardmaking. :)

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

They must have been totally insane or out of their minds to reject this beautiful card. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I read and read and read each one of your tutorials and it inspires me and give me hope that with enough practise, I might be half as good as you are, lol. I love these pinks and this card design, so beautiful.

Paulette S said...

Well, it's Wonderful and I love that you showed us how we can all make an ink painting. The black mat makes it pop. I for one, love to sink my toes in the sand even though I'm part fish....LOL My feet are crying right now at having to give up flip flops for tennis shoes because the fall weather has turned cool and rainy. ;( I think this could be a very nice pep up card or for someone going on vacation, it's so versatile.

Betty said...

Wow, you got the 3D look so good in this one. I swore you had torn paper to use for the water! Fantastic coloring on this one and it's not a reject. Someone must have forgot to put their glasses on!

Anne said...

Absolutely stunning!!!!!
Anne x

Janine said...

Theresa I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your ideas and colours for a Christmas card for a friend going home to Mauritius for Christmas.

Cynthia said...

Beautiful scene, Theresa! I wish that I could get the hang of sponging scenes as you can. Love it!