Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Very Merry Christmas Tip Sheet


Here is my tip sheet for A Very Merry Chirstmas. These are just a few ideas to get you started. If you have tips you would like to share, I would love to hear them.


Cutting and Storage Tips

This photo shows how I made the first cuts when cutting out this set. When I am cutting out a new set, I like to cut it into smaller sections before cutting out individual stamps. This helps to keep from having to make a lot of tight curves around smaller images and reduces the risk of accidentally cutting into a stamp.

I love my Tim Holtz Tonic Scissors for cutting rubber. They just glide right through the rubber, so easily. Be sure to remove the paper backing from the sheet of stamps before you start cutting. It makes cutting so much easier.

Here is a photo showing how they all fit nicely on the storage sheet that comes with the set. I like to place the stamps in approximately the same configuration as seen on the cover sheet.


The Snowflakes

The snowflakes can be used to make background paper. Just stamp them in a random pattern for a snowy backdrop to your cards.

Use different shades of blue ink for a wintery feel.

Heat emboss with Versa Mark and then sponge for crisp white flakes, or use white pigment ink on colored cardstock.

Emboss with gold or silver for a more elegant look.

Use the snowflakes to create frames and borders around images.

Use on the backs of cards or to decorate envelopes.

Use glitter or gel pens to give the snowflakes some sparkles.

Stamp randomly around focal images and sentiments.

Use to make gift tags.

Stamp on craft paper to make your own wrapping paper.


The Fireplace

Combine the fireplace with the tree to create a cozy Christmas scene.

Color the bricks in different shads of red for a less formal look, or in even shades for a more formal look.

The wood mantle can be colored in browns for a more rustic stained wood look, or in off white for a more elegant looking room.


The Jingle Bells

The jingle bells can be colored in bright colors, or done in yellows to look like gold and greys to look like silver.

Try heat embossing in gold or silver.

Stamp and then cut out the bells, trimming way the stamped ribbon, then "hang" them on real ribbon from the top of your card.



The Tree

Use Crystal Lacquer or similar products on the apples and berries to give them some shine.

Add iridescent glitter to the branches to imitate the sparkle of frost.

Get snowy branches by adding Liquid Applique to the branches.

Emboss in gold for and elegant, yet quick and easy card that you can mass produce. (see Gina's sample here)

Leave the tree out of the pot by only inking the tree before stamping, or cut out the image and trim the pot away.


The Holly Branch and the Flourished Holly

These stamps can be used to make backgrounds or as focal images.

The flourished holly is a great compliment to sentiments, when you want the sentiment to be the focal point.

Stamp around the edges of layers (ovals, circles, squares or rectangles) to frame another image.

Stamp in a light colored ink on the inside of a card and stamp a sentiment over it, to jazz up the insides of your cards.

Try coloring the leaves in cool blues and the berries white for a cool elegant look.

Fill in the image with black to make it a silhouette.



The Sentiments

Emphasize the scripted words in the sentiment by inking them in a different color, or even embossing them.

Many of the sentiments will fit in some of the Spellbinders tag sets, including the new Fancy Tags.

Use the larger sentiments on the insides of cards.

Pair them with other stamp sets.


Project Ideas

Turn inexpensive pillar candles into elegant gifts by adding stamped images. Just stamp the images on tissue paper, color and then trim. Then position the tissue on the candle and heat gently with your heat gun.

Make a set of holiday cards to give as a gift to someone special.

Decorate your holiday table with place cards and menus.

Buy inexpensive glass candle holders and etch the images right into the glass to make holiday decorations for yourself or to give as a gift.

Pull out all those old Christmas photos and get scrapping!

Here is a page I did for the scrapbook challenge at StampTV last week. There is still a little time left to enter a project for this challenge and be entered to win the stamp set of your choice from Gina K Designs. I would love to have you play along.

You can see my past tip sheets by clicking on the category link on my sidebar, or you can look them up at the new Stamp Set Idea Center at StampTV. Each stamp set has it's own category and you can find all my sets at the Idea Center by clicking here. This tip sheet will be uploaded there soon.

NSR Nature Photo!
I just had to share this photo with you. I took this while out kayaking with my DH last weekend. There are a ton of herons at the lake we like to kayak. This guy was so pretty and elegant, until he decided I got too close and flew away, screeching at me. We see an otter family sometimes and I am hoping to get a picture of those guys one of these days.

Thank you so stopping by. I'll be back tonight with a very special post featuring one of my guest designers for this month! Have a great day.

13 comments:

6 wacky women said...

Gorgeous page, Theresa.
Love how you used stamped images.
Great pic of the Heron, such an amazing creature.

Karen x

Patti J. said...

Beautiful work, as always Theresa! You have such a way with paper!!! Great page! I'm posting mine now!!!

mudmaven said...

Talk about a jam packed post - wow - such wonderful ideas and I really love that heron pix! ~chris

AKiteFlier said...

GREAT tips Theresa - I LOVE tip sheets and am so happy that you make them for us. Your ideas ROCK. Meanwhile I love that heron photo - I saw a good one while in the Tetons which is, ironically, where I saw my very first one years ago. I have a heron on my neighborhood lake and he has finally gotten used to my presence during my walks. THey are cool birds.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Thanks for the awesome tips, Theresa! I have a great blue heron that lives in my backyard. You were so lucky to get a great photo of him. Mine gets spooked very easily. I just love watching him fish in the wee hours of the morning just when the sun starts to peek!

Donna said...

Thanks for this tip sheet Theresa. I can't wait to get my set. I ordered last Thursday after the party but I don;t think it's been shipped yet. I'm so excited to get it though and can't wait to get started on some awesome Christmas cards. I am so in awe of all the great cards shown at the release party. Thanks for the awesome designs. Make it a wonderful week!

Selma said...

Thanks for all these great ideas Theresa. Love seeing the blue heron picture. Aren't they beautiful. I used to see lots of them by my house before we moved and really miss them now.

A Consuming Passion said...

Thanks so much for all this information Theresa - like the others my order is in and I'm really keen to receive it - though I know it will take a week to get to me in Australia. Never mind that's time to get organised.
Love to see your nature pictures....what a treat to be able to watch these beautiful birds.

Shawna said...

Great tips Theresa, thanks.
I, too, am a kayaker and we have lots of great blue heron here in far northern California. I call them pteradactyls because of that awful screeching they make!!!!
Happy paddling!

Jennie said...

Love this tip sheet Theresa! I hope to get this set soon and will be checking this out for ideas that is for sure! Great picture of the heron...my dh and I canoe but would love to get him kayaking. I haven't done it in years!

Deb Neerman said...

WoWzA, this page is drop-dead-gorgeous!!!!

And your heron photo is just beautiful; tfs!

Lori said...

Love your photo of the heron! Can't wait to see the Otter family. Your sb page is lovely and so are the tips!

Elena said...

Thank you so much for sharing all of the tips and ideas! I really loved the Christmas layout!
And what a neat picture of heron! I have never seen them in a real life!