Friday, October 16, 2009

Lord of the Season Blog Hop!

Hi all! My card today is for a special Gina K Designs blog hop, featuring Nina Brackets gorgeous new stamp set, Lord of the Season.

I really love this autumn wreath topiary and had some pattern paper all picked out to go with it and plans to do a pretty elaborate sketch. After I colored it, I thought the image was too pretty and needed a simple design, so I added a bow on the right and balanced that with a piece of Pure Luxury Ivory paper on the left. (more details below)

For even more ideas with Nina Brackett's Lord of the Season stamp set, visit her blog as well as the GinaK Idea Center here: Lord of the Season


GinaK Designer's joining in on the hop tonight:


September's Center Stage Spotlight Team:

Nina's Guest DT and friends:
Crystal Bernsdorf
JenMarie Taylor
Lisa Hjulberg

First I stamped the image on Pure Luxury Ivory paper, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I really wanted to get a lot of dimension on the tiny images in the wreath, so I first filled in the orange with my blender pen, then went around the edges with my YR07 Copic marker. Then I used my blender pen again and pull some of the orange ink out into the center of the orange.

I find that when making big color transition like this, it helps the color blend easier if I coat the area with blender solution before add the color.

For the grapes, I used the same method of going over the grape cluster with my blender pen, before adding a dot of purple using my V06 marker, then used the blender pen to smooth it out again.

For the apples I used R29, using the same process of covering the area with blender solution first.


Then used my blender pen to push some color to the center.


Same technique for the lemons, using Y17.

For the centers of the sunflowers, I did the same thing again, using E37 and my blender pen. Then for the petals, I just used Y23.

For the leaves, I used my blender pen and YR14, then added some Y17. I also used these colors for the leaf on the flower pot.

To color the flower pot, I went around all the edges with E37.

Then blended out from there with E33, working in small circles.

Added E53, again working in small circles.

Then used my colorless blender pen to soften the color transition and push some of the color away from the highlighted areas.

Used V06 around the edges of the bow.

Then added V04 and my blender pen to finish the bow. I also used C1 in a small line all the way around the image, giving it a bit of a shadow to pop off the paper.

I sponged around the edges of the paper with Vivid Straw ink.

Then sponged with Vivid Butterscotch ink.

I layered the image with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and Ivory, and used a Pure Luxury Sweet Corn card base.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

31 comments:

JenMarie said...

How STUNNING!!

Lori said...

I knew my eyes would be in for a real treat and I was right!!! Absolutely stunning Theresa!!!

Cat Tidwell said...

Oooo I agree, this is colored so lovely that this CAS design works very well with it! Gorgeous Theresa!

Tami Grandi said...

oh my- this is just so gorgeous- stunning is a good word too!

Janice M said...

Beautiful!! Your coloring is amazing!

joy said...

I like your close up views. They give me the perfect idea of what I should be doing. I love the texture in the bow. Beautiful touch!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The main image appears illuminated by the sponging around it...a fantastic effect! And thanks for sharing your coloring technique...I love it!

Donna Baker said...

wow, have to agree - the CAS is PERFECT for this card, love the POP of black!

Giovana said...

Beautiful!!! Lovely colors.
God bless
Giovana

Lee said...

Ohhh this is elegant!!! Sooo very beautiful in the yellow!!!

Melissa said...

Very pretty Theresa, I love, love your coloring.

TexasGrammy said...

Oh Myyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Your coloring is just outstanding, Theresa, as well as the entire card!
Wow!!

~Bev

NinaB said...

Oh, wow, your coloring is just so fabulous, Theresa. Thank you for the coloring step by step, too. I really need to watch more Copic tutorials.

Deb said...

Wow Theresa! Breath-taking! I love the step-by-step pictures! This is definitely a favorite of all I've seen!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Gorgeous! When Santa brings my Copics I am going to be stalking all of your instructions!

buggin2stamp said...

OOOOH...AHHHH...WOW!!! This is gorgeous! With your fabulous coloring skills you were right to keep the rest of the card simple. It really allows the focal piece to shine. Thanks for sharing the tip about using the blender pen first. I would have never thought to do that. I will definately try that.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful card, Theresa! I love how you colored with the blender pen - I need to try that more often!!

Christi said...

Oh, wow! What a stunning and elegant card! Your topiary looks absolutely gorgeous!

Lori said...

Gorgeous card! Loving the simpler sketch, very clean.

Allison Rankin said...

Loves this! Want that stamp!

Chrisd said...

What lovely work and the copic details are great. I only wish I had some...maybe one day!

Melanie said...

so elegant!

Carolyn King said...

stunning! awesome coloring for sure!!! love it!

Jan Castle said...

Nicely done!
Jan Castle

Miss Boo (a.k.a. jen70) said...

Beautiful! Great coloring as usual. Love you bow, too!

Maria said...

Simply stunning! So simple and perfect. You inspire me to get some large daubers to add wonderful color to my cards! I would have to assume you have lots of those large daubers? :-)

Crystal said...

Absolutely stunning, Theresa !

Chelsea said...

gorgeous!!! Love your coloring!

kerianne said...

This is absolutely stunning!! Love the colors and layers, and that bow...awesome!!

Elena said...

This card is really charming! And I love the warm colors!

strawberry fields said...

this is a stunning card...very autumnal
hugs
fiona x