Monday, October 26, 2009

Gina K Preview - Festive Frame

Hello! I am so excited to be sharing a project using Melanie Muenchinger's gorgeous new stamp set, Festive Frame. This is a one layer card! It just looks layered because of the fabulous frame stamp Melanie designed, inspired by the poinsettia from A Year of Flowers. She created such a gorgeous composition with the pine branches and cones. In addition to the large poinsettia frame, there are several sentiments that all fit inside the frame, including the one I used here.

For even more inspiration, please visit the Illustrator of the Festive Frame stamp set Melanie Muenchinger's blog. Then, check in on our CenterStage Spotlight Designer, Diana Queen who has prepared a project for us tonight too.

After that, check out these GinaK Designer's joining in on the Preview blog hop tonight:

Gina Krupsky
Cathy Tidwell
Cindy Lawrence
Erika Martin
Emily Giovanni
Jessica Fick
Kurtis Amundson
Lee Murphy
Lynn Mercurio
Nina Brackett

Before I show you the step by step photos for my card, I wanted to give you another peek at Melanie's new set...

This is a scrapbook page I made for the Scrapbook Challenge I am hosting at StampTV this week. I'll be sharing all the step by step details for this project later in the week, but wanted to show you how beautifully this stamp set lends itself to larger compositions and invite you to play along in my challenge!

And now for my card...

To create my card, I cut a piece of base weight Pure Luxury White cardstock and then stamped my image with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I used my Copics to color and didn't have to worry about them bleeding through, since I was using the base weight white.

I started with R29 at the centers of the leaves and along the edges.

Added R24.

Then used my blender pen to smooth the color transition into the highlighted areas.

Went back with R29 to deepen the shading.

Finished the rest of that flower and the other poinsettia in the same manner.

Used E57 on the cones, YG97 on the pine needles and R27 on the berries.

Next, I used my Versa Mark pen to go over the colored portions of the image and then heat embossed with clear embossing powder.

Used post-it notes to mask the sides and sponged Bashful Blue ink.

Sponged Ballet Blue ink and then moved my masks and did the other side.

Cut an oval from a piece of scratch paper and used it as a mask to sponge some Certainly Celery ink. My oval wasn't the exact match, but close enough that I could just reposition it a few times as I worked around the oval.

To finish, I used my YG99 Copic marker to fill in the banded areas and then used Liquid Applique to fill in the little dots on in the center of the poinsettias and on the berries, cones and pine needles to look like snow. I got it to puff up by heating just briefly with a heat gun. That stuff is so cool!

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a great day!

44 comments:

Marsha said...

Absolutely beautiful. I love this new frame by Melanie.

Misti said...

Gorgeous, Theresa!!!

emilymomto3boys said...

as always - your coloring is stunning!!!

Maria said...

I have to say I'm always psyched to see your coloring for all these projects. Every single time I'm in awe! Truly amazing!

Tina said...

Simply wonderful, Theresa!!! LOVE the scrapbook layout.

Payne Holler Cards said...

always glad to see what you've done...will be using your colors on flowers! and i love that LA for snow also...

Julie Koerber said...

Absolutely gorgeous Theresa!!!!

Giovana said...

Wonderful!! Both of your projects are amazing!!

Selma said...

Gorgeous Theresa. I always love the sponging. Beautiful scrapbook page.

Carolyn King said...

Beautiful coloring ! And i love how you did your scrapbook page. Awesome indeed!

JenMarie said...

STUNNING!!!

Lynn Mercurio said...

You never disappoint Theresa with your stunning color sense and shading expertise. Wow...this is truly amazing!

SandyK said...

Drop dead gorgeous!

Janice M said...

Absolutely Gorgous!! Love the touch of snow on the pine cones!

Karen said...

Very very pretty! Thanks for the step by steps too!

Lori said...

Take my breath away Theresa!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!

Melissa said...

Bea-u-ti-ful! I love it! You're coloring tut is the bomb also!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous as always Theresa. Love everything you have done with this stamp.

Sharri said...

Theresa, Both the card and scrapbook page are stunning!!!

Jan Castle said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! So many ways to use this stamp!
Jan Castle

JessicaK said...

Awesome coloring - and thanks for sharing the copic how to! I had to zoom in on the pic to see those berries up close - so cool.

Lee said...

Ohhhhh GORgeous colors.....those snowy touches are perfect!! And I love the way you used it for the scrapbook page......I'll definitely have to CASE that!!

Barbara said...

Gorgeous Layout and coloring. A huge Thank you for the Copic tutorial. I am new to these and need all the help I can get . :)

Wordbird said...

Theresa...Your card is breathtaking. You are the last on the Festive Frame "hop" tonight and what a wonderfully gorgeous card to end the evening!
I appreciate sooo much the detailed descriptions of the coloring of your cards! I have a long way to go...but I'm learning so much from you! Thanks! ;D Diana

Glenda Atkins said...

Awesome card! Thanks for the tutorial.

NinaB said...

Beautiful colors and projects, Theresa. I love the added "snow" on the pine cones.

Marimer said...

Fantástico, elegante y perfecto, este trabajo, gracias por esta lección. Bss.

Deb said...

Oh! My! Goodness! Absolutely stunning! My favorite. :)

JazzyH said...

Beautiful!

Cat Tidwell said...

Oh so gorgeous Theresa! I just love how you make your cards have a glow! And that page, WOWZA!! what a stunner!

Carla S. said...

Stunning creations, Theresa! I love the gorgeous card and beautiful page you created!

slbt17 said...

B E A U T I F U L !

Sandra

Patti J said...

Love your card, Theresa, and you did a beautiful job on the scrapbook page too! You rock!

Flowers said...

Your card is awesome. You did a wonderful job. These are by far the coolest ever! Love your samples

Donelda said...

while everyone's ginak cards were lovely, yours just tickled my fancy the most!! i love it!!

Melanie said...

thanks for isnpiring me to get out my applique! i love both these projects, TFS your masking tips with everyone!

Elena said...

Wow! The most beautiful Christmas projects I have ever seen! Love it, Theresa!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous project, Theresa! I LOVE the coloring on both of them!

Scrapacat said...

Theresa - I just want to scream! That sb page is to-die-for! The card is gorgeous too - I would have never guessed it was one layer. Awesome stuff!
~ky

Robin McK said...

Hi Theresa!
Both of these projects are STUNNING! I have to have that frame once it's released. Oh darnit.

Anonymous said...

Theresa,

I love what you did with the festive frame stamp..just gorgeous! and thanks for the tutoral!
Bessie a/k Joan

Christi said...

Oh, wow!!! Your card is amazing! So gorgeous! I love all the beautiful details! Your scrapbook page is gorgeous too!

Rubber Princess said...

Absolutely gorgeous. What color of copic did you use to color in the green borders? This must take a very steady hand so that you don't go outside of the lines. Did you create a mask? Thanks.

Debbie

Deebi27 said...

Another stunning piece of art! Wow! The colors are so rich and festive. the Scrapbook page is warm and inviting! TFS!