Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ripples


Hello! Since I first saw Melanie's set, A Year of Leaves, I had in mind to do a card like this.


I started by coloring the main leaf with Copic markers, using G07 around the outside edge and the veins.

Added G05.

Added G03.

Filled in with YG05. Then I cut this image out and set it aside to work on the background.

For the background, I stamped the leaf, using grey Memento ink on a piece of Pure Luxury White for the reflection. Usually, I would us a mirror image stamp to get a reverse image, but I thought the leaf was symetrical enough that I didn't need do it this time. I used YG03, YG93 and C3 to color the leaf and then I heat embossed it with clear embossing powder.

Sponged Bashful Blue ink.

Sponged Tempting Turquoise ink.

Sponged Ballet Blue ink.

To get the ripples, I cut a small oval from a piece of scrap paper to act as a mask and sponged a bit of Ballet Blue ink along the top of the oval.

Then I shifted the mask up and sponged the bottom of the oval. I did it this way because my ovals (Nestabilities) are fat and I thought the ripples needed to be narrower.

Then I cut progressively larger ovals, repeating the sponging process.

I used BG02 and B21 Copic markers to shade the ripples a bit.

I added some stamping around the outside using images from Tropical Flowers and Autumn Beauty, then attached the leaf that I cut out earlier. It doesn't really show in the photo, but I added a few drops of Crystal Lacquer to the top leaf to look like water droplets. Layered with Pure Luxury White and Black Onyx, SU Old Olive and used a Tempting Turquoise card base.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope your day is fabulous!!!

31 comments:

Anita said...

Wow! This is beautiful. Great tutorial!

NinaB said...

This is amazing, Theresa. I love those very realistic ripples.

Melissa said...

A*MAZ*ING! What a beautiful card Theresa! Thanks for the tutorial, I am going to add this to my "to do" list.

Granny P said...

Those ripples are amazing. Thanks for the step-by-step.
Will definitely try this but colouring looks so much easier in the tutorial.

Casmiles said...

The first thing I saw was the ripples and wanted that stamp! Thanks for showing us how you did it and didn't even have to use a stamp...Beautiful card.

Sandy Knecht said...

Awesome card. Thanks for the tutorial.

CFLanger said...

This is so pretty! I love the colors on this card.

Christi said...

Oh, wow!!! This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the falling leaf and water ripples! What a fabulous idea! Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful tutorial with us!

Donna said...

This is absolutely brilliant. The water ripples are so cool and life-like. You amaze me every time I see one of your projects!

Cathy said...

WOW!!! You never cease to amaze me with your ingenuity. Love It!!!

Michelle said...

Beautiful and so very creative!

Rosanne said...

Hi Theresa--your card is absolutely stunning! Thank you for the tutorial and I hope to try it some day!

There is always something interesting going on at your blog--I love stopping by to see what's new!

Tina said...

Oh Theresa!!!!!This is simply AMAZING!!!!!! Great card and wonderful tutorial. You rock!!!!!

Charlene D said...

I am so enjoying your tutorials Theresa. This card is so pretty. Thank you

A Consuming Passion said...

Well everyone else has said how amazing your card is so I only need to put my hand up and say "yes I agree" ! You are so generous to give your tutorials on the cards you make and I for one am learning so much about colouring from you.......Thanks Theresa.

Betty N said...

AWESOME card! The ripples are beautifully done -
very realistic! You are so talented!

6 wacky women said...

Gorgeous card, Theresa.
I just love how you did the ripples....fabulous!!

Karen x

Seongsook Duncan said...

This is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing how you made it.

Primitive Seasons said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to try it. You did a beautiful job!

Mary
www.primitiveseasons.blogspot.com

Gulffire said...

This is just stunning! Thanks for sharing the technique.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Theresa- BEAUTIFUL!! Love the colors and the ripples. Stunning!!

Michelle VP said...

What a stunning card! Thank you so much for showing the step by step process of how you created this. :)

Dawn Frost said...

Wow what an awesome card. Your tutorial is perfect, I'll be trying this scene for sure! Thanks for sharing!!

Lori said...

WOW!!!!
Spectacular!

emilymomto3boys said...

Shut Up! Seriously - that is amazing!

Janice M said...

Wow!! This card is awesome!! Love the ripples you created!

kc_froglady said...

You are awesome! This is awesome! Thank you so much for including step by step instructions with your cards - it has helped tremendously for me to get my head wrapped around the wonderful things that can be done! I just love this card!

Sharri said...

Theresa, another stunning creation!! I love the reflection with the ripple effect - gorgeous!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE! Trena said...

Wow! What a lovely card Theresa! When I first saw it, I though hmmm pencils??? and then I scrolled down to see your technique - what a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Elena said...

Wow! I really love this water effect! Thank you so much for sharing tutorial!

Maria said...

Simply Stunning! How do you come up with this stuff?