Friday, May 8, 2009

Stormy Night

Hello and Happy Friday! Today my guest designer, Cathy Tidwell, has a fabulous project to share with you! I was blown away by her beautiful card and I know you will be, too. Love the barbwire she created and I will definitely be casing that idea!

In other news, the new Stamping Lifestyle magazine from Gina K is live and ready to download! Gina K and Lynn Mercurio did an amazing job putting this magazine together! I love it. Be sure to check it out here and it contains a coupon for Gina K Designs.

And now a bit about my card. Sorry I didn't get any step by step photos. My battery went dead just as I started, so it charged while I was making the card.

The challenge today at SCS was to make a card to celebrate any holiday for the month of May. That just sounded to fun to pass up. I chose National Weather Observer's Day. I've been wanting to try making lightening, so that sounded like the perfect occasion.

I colored the horse from Out West with Copic markers and cut it out. For the background, I first rubbed my embossing buddy over both layers to prevent stray bits of embossing powder from sticking.

Then I used my Versa Mark pen to create the lightening lines. I wanted the two layers to flow into one another, so I stacked the top piece over the bottom and drew the lines from to carry over onto the other. Then I embossed the lightening lines.

The background was sponged. I started with Bashful Blue, then added Almost Amethyst, Lavender Lace, Perfect Plum and finished with just a bit of Basic Black around the edges.

I used the branch stamps from Tropical Flowers, inked up with Stazon to frame the edges. Originally, all those brads were black, but they were a little over-powering, so I replaced them with brown. I backed each panel with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and used Lavender Lace for my card base (5.5 by 5.5).

It is so exciting to see all your fantastic projects using Out West. Here are a few of the amazing finds I have come across...

Patricia (The Paper Temptress) made a wonderful scene using both horse images.

Cathy Edgar made some gorgeous Out West cards, here and here.

Check out what Selma did!

My sister made some awesome tile coasters!

Tina got creative with coloring the horse and made this beautiful card!

Thanks for visiting. I hope you have a great weekend!

13 comments:

Heidi Hihn said...

Great job! I love the colors!

Heidi Hihn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
craftimamma said...

Hi Theresa, My computers been playing up a bit this week and has been stopping me from leaving comments so I've missed quite a few cards.

Just to say they are all fabulous as usual but especially to say thankyou for the great colouring tutorials recently.

Lesley Xx

Cathy said...

Theresa: Love the lightening!!!

Thanks for linking to my cards using your wonderful set :)

Happy Mother's Day!

Casmiles said...

The lightening detail is beautiful! What a difference it makes in the card!

Deb Neerman said...

WOW! WoW!! Wow; did I say 'wow?' This is fantastical, Theresa!!! Love the "lightening" you created ... what an awesome idea!

Becky G said...

Wow Theresa! This is truly gorgeous!!!

Hugs~Becky

Jami said...

WOW!!!!! I am in love with this amazing card!! It has such a magical surreal feel.

Elena said...

I really love the lightening you created! Amazing card!!! This stamp set is gorgeous!!!
Happy Mother's Day to you!

Shirley said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Theresa! Love your background too!

Shirley said...

How very pretty! I love how you did the background and the flower too!

6 wacky women said...

OMW, Theresa.
What a gorgeous card!!
I just love the bg color and the lightning is amazing.
Stunning!!

Karen x

Sue said...

Another stunning card, beautiful work, would hang them all on me wall,sue,x