Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Acetate Box with Tutorial

I made this little box for the Try a New Technique challenge at SCS this week. There was a tutorial available for the project that you can find here, but I made some changes to mine and thought I would write up some directions to show how I did it.


Here is a diagram of the pieces you will need. It is hard to see, but you can click on the image to see a larger version. (Please note- this is a cutting diagram and not a template. The lines are not to scale. )

The top piece is your acetate. Cut one of those, 8 1/2 by 3 1/2, scored every two inches, with 1/2 left over to adhere the sides together.

The bottom diagram is the top and bottom of the box, so you will need to cut two of those. The dimensions are 3 by 3, scored 1/2 inch in on each side. There are four cuts to make, shown in red to the top and bottom each.


Here is what the top and bottom should look like after you do the scoring and snips.


Fold in the four tabs you made and bring all four sides up.

Add adhesive to each tab and press against the sides.

Make you score lines on the acetate, every two inches, with 1/2 inch on the end.

Add tacky tape to the 1/2 inch piece and adhere to the opposite side.

Add some tacky tape to the inside to each side on the bottom piece.

Squeeze the sides of the acetate and place inside the bottom piece.

Punch two small holes to two opposite sides of the top piece. Then place the top on the acetate box and use a pen to mark where the holes are. Now remove the top and punch corresponding holes in the acetate.

String a piece of ribbon through the holes in the acetate.

String one end of the ribbon throught one side of the top, inside to outside.

Do the same for the opposite side. Then fill your box and slide the top into place, pulling the ribbon at the same time. Tie a bow, decorate and you're done.


I used two sets from Gina K Designs to decorate my box, Flowers for Daisy and Botanical Dreams. The images are colored with water color pencils and the daisy was embossed with clear embossing powder to make it pop out just a bit.

I hope you find this helpful. Feel free to post any questions you might have.

Have a great day!

13 comments:

Annapurna said...

Great idea and thanks for sharing the tutorial. Wow to all that cutting.

I want some truffles now :-)
If I were you, I would have stamped that fern on the acetate or left it out, being the lazy chic that I am.

jeweledrabbit said...

I want some truffles too. LOL

Lee said...

You did an AWEsome job on the tutorial!!! This is a wonderful treat box......so perfect for a Fall get-together for table settings!!

Rhonda Langley said...

WOW! What a great tutorial and a great treat box. Makes me want chocolate!!

Risa said...

Your acetate treat box is soooooooo pretty! I love it!!!! TFS the tutorial Theresa, I can't wait to try and make one:)

Rika said...

What a wonderful box, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great tute!
Thanks!
Makes a nice teacher gift!... I know... already thinking...

Anonymous said...

Thanks to share.
Here is my version

Bye from Italy.

Anonymous said...

hi, thanks for this. Is it strong enough to hold a cupcake or a mini cake.

annamariedizon said...

Hi, thanks so much for this tutorial. I will use this box for my daughter's birthday souvenir. :)

Anonymous said...

great share, great article, very usefull for me...thank you

Anonymous said...

hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you will want to place a facebook button to your site. I just bookmarked this url, however I must make it manually. Simply my $.02 :)