Sunday, July 6, 2008

Giraffe Birthday Card Tutorial

This card was made using Just So Hippy, a stamp set created by Melanie Muenchinger, for Gina K Designs. It is actually my sister's set, but she is letting me borrow it.

Melanie is having a blog candy challenge on her blog and you could win one of her stamp sets if you participate. In addition to Melanie's challenge, this card is was designed to meet the sketch challenge at Our Creative Corner.

I started by coloring the giraffe using Koh-i-noor pencils and blending with odorless mineral spirits. After the coloring was finished, I cut it out and clear embossed the image.

For the background, I started with a small piece of Whisper White card stock. I punched out a 1 1/4 inch circle from a post it note and placed it where I wanted the sun to be.

Using So Saffron ink I sponged the circle, then removed the post it.

Now, using the punched out circle from the post it, I placed it over the sun and added two more post its for the horizon line, cutting off the lower portion of the sun.

Next I sponged in the sky with a light blue ink, then added Ballet Blue over the outer areas.

Finally, I added Not Quite Navy ink over the outer most edges and removed the post its.

Now, I covered the sky with post its and started sponging with So Saffron, so that the bottom of the sun disappeared.

I added some Creamy Caramel and Really rust.

Next came some Chocolate Chip in the foreground and then I removed the post its.

Using a stamp from Fresh Cuts (Stampin' Up), I stamped some foliage using Chocolate Chip ink. I stamped two more times before re-inking to get some fainter images.

I added some black branches, using a stamp from Best Blossoms (retired Stampin' Up).

The card was assembled using More Mustard, sponged with Pumpkin Pie ink, Basic Black card stock and a card base of Close to Cocoa sponged with Chocolate Chip ink. I used pop dots under the giraffe and added some brads to the top right corner.

The sentiment was stamped on Close to Cocoa, which I then cut down to a narrow strip and used the Word Window punch to round the corners. I added eyelets to each side and place a small piece of hemp twine to each, fraying the ends.

Have a great day!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow, This is really cool.!! love it!

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh what a great card, super job, love it. Thanks so much for playing along with us.

Jennifer Meyer said...

You got my WOW! LOVE the fun tutorial and gorgeous detail that went into your card! Amazing work, thanks so much for playing. Jennifer :)

Annapurna said...

I love all the background you created with all the effects. Cute giraffe isn't it?

When I popped up this giraffe on my cards, it looked like they were hanging in the air from a certain angles.

Melanie said...

such a stunning card!!

Heather "Hev" said...

I love giraffes and got so excited when I saw this :)

Excellent tutorial aswell - thankyou for that :)

Have a great day :)

Amy Sheffer said...

This is SUCH a cool card!! I love what you've done - thanks for taking the time to show your steps! So glad you could play in the OCC challenge.